I cannot say whether things will get better if we change;
what I can say is they must change if they are to get better.
Georg C. Lichtenburg
Mierīgi, (pronounced [‘mieri:gi]) is Latvian and means calm, quiet, peaceful, easy going. And this is exactly, what mierīgi and my support is about:
Relax, calm down, find inner peace and put the world in order!
Mierīgi helps you, to orientate yourself and reconnect to the strength, that is to be found in serenity.
I suspect you have come to me on these pages because you have problems in life that you cannot solve on your own and you are looking for help and support. Either for you alone, for you as a couple or for your whole family. <more…>
My name is Martin, I am a trained psychologist and systemic therapist with my own practice in Riga. For many years I have been accompanying individuals, couples and families through crises and to new shores. <more about me>
Browse through my pages at your convenience and if you have a question or want to make an appointment, just get in contact <contact>.
On the professional side, I am a experienced therapist, working since more than 15 years in different settings.
- My work is mainly based on the systemic approach, the latest major approach in psychotherapy, and on mindfulness training.
- In the systemic approach, the focus is on the wishes for the future and the design of concrete steps to achieve them. This can be material goals like a career or the loss of body wight, goals in relationship like improvement of communication, education goals with children or internal goals like overcoming grief or fear or gaining courage and energy.
- Due to the focus of the next step forward instead of concentrating on the past, most of my clients experience a fast improvement of their live and an increase in self-confidence and hope, which massively supports the next steps.
- To make realistic plans, you have to clearly understand the situation you are in. And to successfully implement the plans, you have to remind yourself moment to moment to act different than before. Both requires mindfulness. For this reason I teach different methods to increase reflection and awareness. This is a important boost for your change.
- I have experience in working with people from all continents, religions and cultural backgrounds.
- I work in English, German and Latvian. And with any mixture of the three. So don’t worry, if your language level is not that high…
Therapy is based on the relationship between therapist and client. It is therefore important to find someone who also suits you as a person. This can only be determined through contact, but here are a few pointers as to who you are dealing with:
- I am living as a foreigner since a while in Latvia. So I fought against the difficulties in landing here and solved some of the problems. I know both, the local, more traditional and a more modern approach to live.
- I traveled a decade all over the world, gaining a much deeper understanding for the diversity of human existences and the broad variety of relationship models. Where ever you come from, most likely I have a idea, how it looks in your country.
- I am a men (rather rare in Latvia) and this maybe meaningful for you. For couples I offer Co-Therapy with my colleague Gunta Vītola too (only in Latvian).
- Apart from being Therapist, I have work experience as industrial worker, in management, in research, in social fields and in farming. I make my own honey and I know how to repair a motorcycle!
- I have a dog and 2 cats and love them.
- You need consultation or advice, but you have difficulties to leave your home?
- You can’t come to Riga?
- You are on travel or live abroad?
No problem at all. I offer online consultation and you can stay, where ever your are. All you need is a mobile phone or a computer with Internet connection for a video call and a place, where you can talk undisturbed.
With the help of appropriate therapeutic techniques I make sure, that a online session are as intensive and effective as therapy in my office.